WELCOME

Welcome to my Blog. Check back for new blog posts regarding nutrition, food, and fitness. You can also access my blog posts, daily nutrition tips and recipe ideas from my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/healthyyounutrition and don't forget to "like" us!

Interested in a healthy lifestyle change but don't know where to start? Check out the NUTRITION SERVICES tab for the motivation and support you need to start living life as a healthier you!

Health and Happiness,


Stephanie : 0 )








Friday, June 15, 2012

Stevia Extract


Back in December I wrote about the different artificial/alternative sweeteners.  I included Stevia in the group eventhough it is an all nautral calorie-free sweetener, not artificial.  You can refer back to that blog to learn more about Stevia!

Stevia also comes in an extract form.  This product is great because it can sweeten any dish or drink without added sugar and calories and the serving size is just a few drops. 

My friend Cristina has created many delicious recipes using stevia extract.  So I bought some myself and tested them out and thought I'd share her recipes on my blog.

Now I don't have exact amounts, so I just played around with the recipes and luckily they all turned out great! 

Pumpkin Pie Fruit Dip

0% plain Fage Greek yogurt
Couple drops vanilla stevia extract
Cinnamon
Organic canned pumpkin

* You can dip apple slices in this or top it with granola and enjoy it as a parfait. It is so tasty!

Protein Balls

Chocolate protein powder
Wheatgerm
Flaxseed
Couple drops of stevia extract
Cinnamon
Organic canned pumpkin or all natural peanut butter

* Mix together to form a cake batter consistency and add a little water if needed then roll into balls and freeze.  These are great for after a workout.  I used sweet cream flavored protein powder then added cocoa powder.  I also used pumpkin and peanut butter and didn't need to add water.

Honey Mustard Dressing

Apple cider vinegar
Fresh lemon juice
Mustard
Couple drops of stevia extract

* I used too much vinegar and lemon juice at first so mine was quite tart.  So I added more mustard and stevia until it was at a taste I liked.  I also used an organic dijon mustard.

Breakfast Cookies (recipe from Pinterest but I added Stevia)

3 mashed ripe bananas
2 cups oatmeal
1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon
Couple drops of vanilla stevia extract

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

* I didn't have raisins so I added the vanilla stevia for sweetness and they are really yummy.  I think 3 bananas might be too much and next time I would probably do 2 instead.  These are so easy to make it is ridiculous and make a perfect on-the-go breakfast.  You can use soy milk instead of almond to boost the protein so you stay satisfied longer too.


You can find liquid stevia extract at health food stores and nutrition shops.  I found the vanilla flavored stevia at The Nugget in Vacaville.  I am sure Whole Foods has it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment