WELCOME

Welcome to my Blog. Check back for new blog posts regarding nutrition, food, and fitness. You can also access my blog posts, daily nutrition tips and recipe ideas from my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/healthyyounutrition and don't forget to "like" us!

Interested in a healthy lifestyle change but don't know where to start? Check out the NUTRITION SERVICES tab for the motivation and support you need to start living life as a healthier you!

Health and Happiness,


Stephanie : 0 )








Saturday, July 21, 2012

Healthy Burger and Tots



A burger and fries is one of the most popular meals in America.  So a burger + tots + Coke at Sonic sets you back 900 calories.

How about we mix things up a bit and make a healthy meatless burger and tots for less than 500 calories.  This meal also contains way less fat than a typical burger meal and was high in protein.  Skip the Coke and opt for a diet soda or better yet, water!

I got these two recipes from Pinterest and tried them tonight.  I LOVED this dinner!



Enjoy...


Black Bean Burgers

Mash can of black beans

2 T. ketchup

1 T. mustard

1 t. onion powder, 1 t. garlic powder

Pinch of ginger powder or turmeric or any spice (I used chipotle)

1/3 cup instant oats (I used 5 minute oats)

Form into patties and cook 7 minutes on each side

So I used my food processor to blend all of the ingredients together and made three large patties and cooked them in a skillet with non-stick no calorie olive oil spray.  I built my burger on a whole wheat sandwich thin with dijonnaise, 1/4 avocado, baby spinach, tomatoes, and cholula.  YUM!  I can't wait to have another one tomorrow!


Zucchini Tots

1 cup shredded, peeled zucchini (about 2 zucchinis)

1 small onion, diced

1 egg

1/4 Italian seasoned bread crumbs

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon seasoned salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

paprika to garnish

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients. Spray 24 mini muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray. Using a small spoon, evenly distribute the zucchini mixture among the cups - filling about halfway & pressing the mixture down a little with the back of the spoon. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve with chipotle ranch sauce, if desired.
I shredded one zucchini (skin on) and one large carrot using my food processor.  I used 1/3 cup cheddar cheese to save a little on calories/fat. My recipe made 16 mini tots and yes my calorie calculation for the above burger + 16 tots was under 500 calories. It was delicious and super filling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment