WELCOME

Welcome to my Blog. Check back for new blog posts regarding nutrition, food, and fitness. You can also access my blog posts, daily nutrition tips and recipe ideas from my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/healthyyounutrition and don't forget to "like" us!

Interested in a healthy lifestyle change but don't know where to start? Check out the NUTRITION SERVICES tab for the motivation and support you need to start living life as a healthier you!

Health and Happiness,


Stephanie : 0 )








Tuesday, September 25, 2012

That's Nutty



Last week was the first NADA (Northern Area Dietetics Association) meeting.  Our speaker was from the International Tree Nut Council and she shared the health benefits of nuts with our group.  So I thought I'd share what I learned since I love nuts and I recommend them to patients on a daily basis. For majority of patients, I recommend 1 ounce of nuts per day since they are high in fat.  Well our speaker shared some studies that found eating even 2-2.5 ounces of nuts per day reduced the risk of many disease states and helped maintain a healthy weight when following a diet that is low in saturated fat and cholesterol. I was pleased to hear these results since I have been eating 2-3 ounces of nuts each day, especially since I started my Vegan Challenge. 

Tree nuts include almonds, Brazils, cashews, hazelnuts, macadamias, pecans, pine nuts, pistachios, and walnuts.  Nuts contain protein, fiber and phytochemicals.  They're a great source of folic acid, niacin, vitamins E and B-6 and magnesium, copper, zinc, selenium, phosphorus and potassium. The majority of fat in tree nuts is unsaturated and are cholesterol free. 

WHAT IS ONE OUNCE?

So I typically recommend one handful of nuts or an ounce.  Here are the approximate amounts that equate to 1 ounce:

20-24 almonds (excellent source of vitamin E)
10-14 halves of walnuts (excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids)
157-167 pine nuts (high in copper)
16-18 cashews (rich in magnesium)
47-49 pistachios (great source of plant sterols)
10-12 macadamias (excellent source of manganese)
6-8 Brazil nuts (one nut provides 100% daily value of selenium!)
19-21 hazelnuts (rich in vitamin E)
18-20 halves of pecans (high in total flavonoids)

HOW TO USE NUTS IN COOKING

Breakfast: sprinkle on yogurt, oatmeal, cold cereal, fruit, in cream cheese spreads, and in bread recipes such as muffins, waffles, and pancakes.  I love banana and walnut pancakes!!

Snacks: research has shown that nuts keep you fuller longer; this is because they contain three satiety-promoting nutrients - protein, fat and fiber; for portion control divide into individual bags and take them to go so you always have a snack handy; pair nuts with almost any snack, especially fruit for steady blood sugar control

Appetizers: top softened Brie or Camembert cheese with chopped pistachios, add your favorite nuts to a cheese and fruit tray

Soups: sprinkle chopped nuts on top of soup for added texture and a healthy crunch

Salads: perfect home for nuts and seeds

Veggies: nutty vinaigrettes made with chopped hazelnuts or Brazils add a special something to steamed vegetables, give it a try

Pasta: make pesto with pine nuts or sprinkle your favorite chopped nut atop pasta

Entrees: nuts can be used to coat meats and vegetables or added to your favorite casseroles

Desserts: nuts pair great with brownies, cakes, cookies and can be added atop ice cream, frozen yogurt and parfaits, just last week I made Yonana ice cream and topped it with dry roasted almonds


TIPS FOR TOASTING

Bring out extra flavor and crunch by toasting or roasting your nuts. Sprinkle onto an ungreased baking sheet, place in 350 degree oven or toaster oven and bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until nuts are slightly brown, stir once or twice until lightly toasted, remove from oven and from pan to allow nuts to cool, they will continue to brown slightly after removing from the oven, so don't over do it!

STORAGE

Keep tree nuts as fresh as possible, store them in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to six months or up to a year in the freezer



For more information, visit www.nuthealth.org

1 comment:

  1. I love nuts but feel like I'm often hearing mixed (no pun intended) things about them. I suppose if in the strictest sense you're just trying to lose weight without any concern about your actual health (a shortsighted unhealthy approach) then avoiding any unnecessary calories might help you shed some pounds in the short term.

    However, I totally subscribe to the science behind the nutrients nuts offer. Like anything I suppose consumption in moderation (or dietitian recommended quantities) is the way to go.

    Personally, I'm a big fan of toasting peanuts even though I believe there are numerous more nutritious nuts.

    Oh yeah, I also had never thought about incorporating nuts into soup, but I'm up for trying it - i like the texture idea.

    ReplyDelete